Weatherking Heatpump no heat

Problems related to residential installations.

Moderator: juster

strightclaw
New Contributor

Weatherking Heatpump no heat

Post by strightclaw » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:17 am

First off Id like to thank those responsible for excepting me to theforum.

I have aproblem with my heatpump. It went form cooling good this past summer to no heat now start of winter. When I turn it to heat the comressor runs about a minute then shuts off. It leaves a led code ( low pressure control open. ) If I jump the test pins on the defrost board it will start again but just do the samed thing. It seems to still be cooling OK with 50 degree outside and 40 degree at the vent. Dosent turn off eather. Im no mechanic but could this be the low pressure control even with it working on cool. Or maybe the defrost board ? Help anyone !

Thanks

Freon
Most Valued Contributor

- Weatherking Heatpump no heat

Post by Freon » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:32 pm

You need to have someone check the refrigerant level in your unit. When was the last time you had anyone check your condenser? If the level is good then you can think about the low pressure safety possibly being bad.

strightclaw
New Contributor

Post by strightclaw » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:02 am

Thanks for the reply Freon. Refirgerant is up ohmed the low pressure switch its closed Code says its open. Im thinking defrost board.

Thanks again

Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Post by Freon » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:51 pm

You have done well. As a test, jumper the pressure switch and see if it still misbehaves, like it should. Then remove the defrost board and check it carefully for cold solder joints... you may get lucky.

strightclaw
New Contributor

Post by strightclaw » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:42 am

Thanks Freon

I jumpered the pressure switck but it wont run at all with the jumper.

Thanks again

Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Post by Freon » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:23 pm

The computer program may test the switch for an open position before starting the inducer motor. If jumpered too early the computer will sense a closed (bad) switch at the first start-up test. Try waiting until the inducer is running then jumper the switch.

strightclaw
New Contributor

Post by strightclaw » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:17 pm

I jumped the switch after waiting and it seemed to run for a longer time before the compressor switched off. It did heat though I had 135 degree temp of the low side pipe. Will It hurt anything to keep the jumper on to see how it does for a cycle or two ?

Thanks Freon

Happy Turkey Day

Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Post by Freon » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:52 pm

Jumper for testing only. Never leave a jumper in place. You may have another issue and the jumper is hiding it. Not being there it's difficult to give you good advice.

strightclaw
New Contributor

Post by strightclaw » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:38 am

Thanks Freon

I had my AC guy come out and he noted the Expansion valve frosting up in heat mode. Replaced it and good to go. Thans again for your time and help.

Have a Blessed Day