Heat Pump Current High??

Problems related to residential installations.

Moderator: juster

Sailorman3
Minimal

Heat Pump Current High??

Post by Sailorman3 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:35 pm

I have a Trane heat pump in my home that was installed new 6 years ago. This winter my electric bill has doubled for the last 3 months but the temperature is still on average with last year. I checked the current when the unit was running tonight and it is 38amps. The compressor tally plate tells me it should be 12.8 amps. What could be causing this? The emergency electric heaters have been turned off for checking. Thanks in advance.

Freon
Most Valued Contributor

- Heat Pump Current High??

Post by Freon » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:18 pm

The heat strips must be on. There's no way your compressor can swallow 38 amps without much smoke and destruction. Check your settings. Turn off the circuit breaker to the heat strips. If you still see 38 amps then look for very burnt wiring. How did you check the current to arrive at 38 amps?

Sailorman3
Minimal

Post by Sailorman3 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:36 pm

Heat strips were turned off by the breaker. I used a clamp on amp meter at the breaker panel. The breaker is rated for 100 amps and when starting the amp meter is reading 68amps. I turned the heat strips off at the end of last month because I also had a high bill then and didn't know if they may have been on at all times. Hopefully that didn't affect the electricity I used for the month.

Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Post by Freon » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:33 pm

Check the data plate of the condenser unit. It should have the LRA (locker rotor amps) which is what the unit will draw at an absolute maximum (frozen compressor). Also see the the run amps are as shown on the data plate. Check the calibration of your amp meter. Something doesn't seem right.