Unconventional ducting

Problems related to residential installations.

Moderator: juster

JojoDVM1
Minimal

Unconventional ducting

Post by JojoDVM1 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:45 am

Long story short, I have an ancient double wide mobile home that I'm making do with until construction of a new home on the same site takes place in the future. The house has central HVAC but the years and wildlife have destroyed the majority of the duct work under the house. I know the simple answer is "well just climb under there and fix it!". Negative ghostrider! The clearance is next to nill in most places and it is a veritable war zone. I think I got tetanus just looking under there! I've been getting by for a good while using window AC and space heaters, but winter kills me. So, the idea struck me. What if I run simple exposed flexible ducting along the main beam in the ceiling of the house? Function is key here. I could care less about appearance. Biggest issue (question) is that the air handler is set up with the blower pointing down (as the ductwork is under the house). Can I take the blower off, close up that hole with a piece of plywood, flip the blower 90 degrees so it points straight out, build a cover that allows for the duct out the front, and rig up some duct work?

Freon
Most Valued Contributor

- Unconventional ducting

Post by Freon » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:31 pm

The blower assembly is usually integrated with the furnace. You'll have wires going from the blower to the control board and it's a clean fit.

So here's another idea. If you have the height, build a cube from plywood (lined with duct board) that the furnace will sit on. Cut an opening in the top of the cube where the furnace's blower will sit blowing down, into the cube. Cut another hole on the side of the cube for your ducting to attach.

JojoDVM1
Minimal

- Unconventional ducting

Post by JojoDVM1 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:41 pm

I considered that route, but with the lines from the outside unit I don't think I have play to lift the unit. The blower appears to just be screwed on with about 6 small screws to the top of the outlet. All the wiring is exposed to the front and I don't think I'd have an issue with some play in those wires. If I can manage to get smarter than my phone, I'll attach a pic