Ac leaking freon

Problems related to residential installations.

Ac leaking freon

Postby RonGopaul » Fri May 29, 2015 1:34 pm

I have a 15 year old r22 unit leaking freon.I called a technician who spend 1.5 hour trying to locate the leak,he could not find it,and suggested to put in leak seal.I am not familiar with it,can some professional give me some ideas.Thanks.
RonGopaul
New Contributor

- Ac leaking freon

Postby Freon » Sat May 30, 2015 9:34 am

How much are you leaking? If it's only a pound or 2 a year I'd forget it and top off the system at the beginning of the AC season.

Look for signs of a small oil spill/stain. There's oil mixed with the R-22 and that's one way to see where a leak is especially on the outside condenser area. Look at all connections of the refrigerant lines. Rub your finger over them again looking for oil. Spraying something like 409 cleaner will reveal bubbling if there's a leak. Check the schrader valves at the condenser where they add R-22. Spray the valve with 409 and see if it's leaking.

Did the tech look at the evaporator coil? Again check where any connection has been made.

I am personally not familiar with leak sealing products. I would Google them all and try and read as many reviews as possible on sites like Amazon. Depending on the size of the leak it may not hold. Again read reviews.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

- Ac leaking freon

Postby RonGopaul » Sat May 30, 2015 11:36 am

Mr Freon he used an electronic leak detector on condenser,and evaporator coils,that is when the tech said there is a leak on line set in PVC conduit underground.Thanks for responding I will do some research on leakseal.
RonGopaul
New Contributor

- Ac leaking freon

Postby coolmantech » Sun May 31, 2015 9:13 pm

I have had nothing but bad luck with the seal products. After losing two compressors I stopped using it. Did his detector pick up a leak in the pvc? Usually the copper in the pvc will not have a joint. The most likely place is the evaporator coil. You will sometimes even feel oil in the drain pan under the coil. A tech should be able to locate with his detector.
coolmantech
Minimal

- Ac leaking freon

Postby RonGopaul » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:36 pm

Thanks Mr Coolmantech,never had freon problem with this unit.The tech put in 1.5 pound,guess there is a small leak somewhere.I have to monitor it some more,and next time call another company,hopefully the leak can be located.
RonGopaul
New Contributor

- Ac leaking freon

Postby joycewhitaker » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:15 am

Since the tech is unable to locate the leak, the leak is pretty small. Freon leaks are tough to discover specially if its coming from the low pressure side of the system such as the evaporator coil, suction line dryer or maybe even the service valve. A small leak would take a while to bleed down to where the unit would not function properly. I would however recommend you to consult another HVAC tech who has more experience. A second opinion might help better. I found this good company who are well knowledgeable regarding such stuff and has over 25 years of experience. It might help you. Check out the website **/air-c ... th-nj.html to get more information.
joycewhitaker
Minimal

Return to Residential