Should I replace 20 year old blower fan motor...

Problems related to residential installations.

Should I replace 20 year old blower fan motor...

Postby LennoxHVAC » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:25 pm

...it is working fine. Aging, growls a little, thumps sometime at start.
Replacement part# 60L2201 for Lennox G20Q3-100-1 -- OEM US Motors.

Thank you.
LennoxHVAC
Most Valued Contributor

- Should I replace 20 year old blower fan motor...

Postby Freon » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:10 pm

Grab the blower wheel (squirrel cage) and see if it moves up/down and right/left. If you feel wiggle when you move the blower wheel, then most likely the bearings are going. I would find an electric motor shop and see what replacing the bearings would cost. If you go this route, also buy and new EXACT run capacitor. The motor shop should have one. Replacement motors are great until you go to install them.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby LennoxHVAC » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:58 pm

There is indeed a slight play, more than hairline. The motor shaft slides back and forth, close to 1/4".
I will do some more research.

The current motor is GE, with GE run capacitor 7.5uF 350VAC.
What would it take to DIY successfully -- replace blower motor and the wheel.

"Replacement motors are great until you go to install them".
What to look for Freon if I decide to DIY?
LennoxHVAC
Most Valued Contributor

Postby Freon » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:08 pm

The wheel could be fine after a cleaning. Check any balance weights to be sure they're still secure.

Get the model number of the motor and call an electric motor shop and ask the cost to replace the bearings. The motor you have now fits perfectly. To buy a new motor can be tricky but the electric motor shop will know what motor is available. You most likely will need a wheel puller to separate the blower wheel from the motor. The motor shop will have a 7.5 uF/330 volt capacitor also. Be sure it's the same values.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby LennoxHVAC » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:17 am

The Lennox manual came in handy again. Text and the diagrams are extremely helpful.
The control board is BCC3. At-a-glance there are three wires stretched from the GE motor to the board (white, black and red). It is a plug like connector at the motor, and onto neutral/white, A (high/black), and H (low/red) on BCC3 -- appears to be a straight forward. Two brown wires plug onto the capacitor -- its is 7.5 uF/ 370 volt.

I found a local motor shop not far which offers all kind of motors, parts, and repair service.

Many thanks!
LennoxHVAC
Most Valued Contributor

Postby LennoxHVAC » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:57 am

Lol!
Local motor shop is out of business for two years.
LennoxHVAC
Most Valued Contributor

Postby LennoxHVAC » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:58 pm

Getting to know little more, unplugged the motor wires white, black, and red at the control board. The resistance at black wire is 2.2 ohms, and red shows 3.7, hence, higher the resistance slower the motor speed.

Are these resisters in a series, like those in the cars, i.e. low speed value is sum of all resistors in a series?
LennoxHVAC
Most Valued Contributor

Postby Freon » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:07 pm

There are no resistors. You're measuring the inductance of the motor windings. Each speed has different windings. I suggest you find another motor shop and get the bearings fixed.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby LennoxHVAC » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:25 am

Took a photo of GE motor R192-S name plate with iPhone yesterday incase I find another repair shop.
So I found one after inquiring at local ACE.
The shop technician says it is too small of a motor to service and repair. Recommended I replace it with new, it will be cheaper.

I asked for bearings, he said, stocks commercial motor repair parts.
Pointed me to a local HVAC supply house. This guy doesn't sell to homeowners.
I say, Laughter is a good medicine!
LennoxHVAC
Most Valued Contributor

Postby LennoxHVAC » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:49 am

After the neighborhood parade and awesome weather I decided to service the blower fan and motor.
The squirrel cage housing was suspended with two screw. The square screw that fastens the blower fan to motor shaft was finger loose.
Cleaned all the items and connections throughly, steel wool the thread and metal shaft, and lubricated the motor at two lubing points.

The fan itself had dirt sticking to it. Fan blade gaps were noticeably uneven, but not damaged. Scrubbed cleaned, and used blue Loctite to screw fan at the shaft.

It is now working beyond expectations -- no rotary noise, humming or mild knocks and clicks.
I use to hear whistle when placing ear to the vents. No more, the blower sounds crisp -- likes of air turbine.

Fun project!
LennoxHVAC
Most Valued Contributor

Next

Return to Residential