ComfortMaker RPJ II furnace blinking 6 times

Problems related to residential installations.

ComfortMaker RPJ II furnace blinking 6 times

Postby stlengineer » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:15 pm

I have a ComfortMaker RPJ II gas furnace with a light blinking 6 times when it tries to startup. I'm trying to figure out what likely needs to be replaced. It was installed in 1993. The furnace doesn't start whenever the light is on, but the furnace has started enough times (when the light was not blinking) to where it has kept the house warm this past week. Yesterday I tried to sand down the flame sensor and its electric terminal with emery cloth and it didn't appear to fix the issue. In fact, the unit started one last time after that and now its completely locked out. I've killed power to the furnace to try and reset it. If I turn off power for only a few minutes before restarting, the furnace's 50A50-110 control will make some clicking noises and then go straight to the blinking light without trying to light the furnace. I left the power off overnight to the furnace and this morning it did go through the furnace lighting sequence, but it still just lit the 3 burners and then shutdown and showed the 6 blinking lights for a single time and then locked out without trying the furnace lighting sequence again. I'm interested in getting people's opinion of what the issue is and what likely needs to be replaced. There have been a few different posting that seem similar. Most focused on the flame sensor and just sanding it down, which again didn't seem to work for me. I'll attempt to add some video links or pictures of the furnace in action later on, especially if I get it to try starting again. Also, I've listed the furnace specifications below.

If you think a control board replacement is needed, let me know if you think a homeowner could do that on their own or if a HVAC technician is required. Is their something else required whenever a control board replacement is done such as some type of setup process?

Furnace - ComfortMaker RPJ II
Model - GUI075A012AIN
Manufacturing - GUI075AEAIN
Control Board / Circuit Board / Furnace Control Module - 50A50-110
stlengineer
New Contributor

- ComfortMaker RPJ II furnace blinking 6 times

Postby Freon » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:47 pm

Look at your documentation and tell us what 6 flashes on the controller board mean? It's nice to know what error you have. The controller is telling you that. Now you tell us.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby stlengineer » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:58 pm

The label on the furnace shows errors for the light blinking 1 to 5 times. It doesn't list a reason for blinking 6 times. It doesn't look like this forum will let me share any links to pictures or videos, so here is a listing of the error codes for reference. Also, I've gone ahead and ordered a new flame sensor and control. For future reference to others with similar furnaces, the original parts (White Rodgers 760-470 and 50A50-110) are now obsolete at White Rodgers. I found a replacement ComfortMaker 1380687 flame sensor online. For the control board, I was told to get part number White Rodgers 50A55-843. Once they arrive I'll share if they made any improvement.

1 flash - system lockout due to retry
2 flashes - pressure switch contacts closed
3 flashes - pressure switch contacts open
4 flashes - open high limit switch
5 flashes - open rollout switch
continuous flash - flame sensed with no call for heat
stlengineer
New Contributor

Postby stlengineer » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:32 pm

I called White Rodgers technical support and they mentioned that a blinking light of 6 times gives an error code of "shorted flame sensor probe or water level sensor", so hopefully it just means I need a new flame sensor, which I already ordered and will replace in the coming days.
stlengineer
New Contributor

Postby Freon » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:09 pm

Excellent detective work!! The more you understand your equipment, the better able you will be to fix it now and in the future.

In your research, I suggest you read about "flame rectification". It's the principle that most flame sensors use for proving your burner or pilot flame is present. Flame rectification needs clean electronics, the flame sensor probe, a secure ground connection and also an accurate sensing circuit. I mention the sensing circuit because it is within the White Rogers controller. I hope your new probe is a success however It is possible the flame sensing fault may be in that White Rogers controller.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby stlengineer » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:20 am

I first tried to replace just the flame sensor with a newer one and it did not work for me when using the older 50A50-110 control. I wanted to note that the new flame sensor I got was much longer than the original one on my machine. It appears that White-Rodgers didn't offer a replacement part so I had to order a replacement by referencing the Goodman part number for the flame sensor which was 1380687. I presume Goodman switched to a different manufacturer other than White Rodgers for the flame sensor at some time. By the way, I ordered the replacement flame sensor through Amazon. Anyway, what fixed the problem for me was to switch the control to the newer White Rodgers 50a55-843 control. It was able to work even with the newer flame sensor I had bought. Its been working for at least a full week or two now. What helped me in transferring the wires was to a) label the wires before moving them b) transfer one wire at a time c) use a needle nose pliers to remove the terminals from older control d) pulling the female terminals by the insulation cap and not by the wire itself. I'm keeping the old flame sensor as a backup. I had to drill two new holes to mount the new control since its a smaller size. It would have been a pretty quick job to fix for most people, but I like to take my time on something I'm not that familiar with. Thanks for everyone's help.
stlengineer
New Contributor

Return to Residential