Lennox g20 pilot removal

Problems related to residential installations.

- Lennox g20 pilot removal

Postby ccrider966 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:57 pm

I cleaned tightened and replaced the pilot/sensor assembly back into the furnace after also checking with the local Lennox repairman that he saw nothing wrong with the pilot/sensor assembly. I am going to bite the bullet and order a new ignition control as a last resort.
There are 2 choices for a new ignition control, one from ICM #2902 for $100 and one by some unknown supplier that is packaged by Lennox #30w33 as a kit for $140. The Kit also contains a new ignition sensor which I already replaced and hate to have to do that again! Question is, does the kit require the sensor be replaced with the one provided???
Any thoughts as to the relative quality of these 2 controls???? Of course I would like to save the $40 but want it to work!
ccrider966
New Contributor

Postby Freon » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:33 pm

We have no idea who the OEM electronics supplier for the PC board inside the either control box is. ICM is a well known HVAC supplier and I bet the PC board is the same as the other control. Google ICM 2902 furnace control and you will see the connections should be the same as what you have. Therefore no additional equipment should be necessary. I would save the $40.

Label/photograph all wires before removing them from your current control board so you know EXACTLY how to reconnect everything.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby ccrider966 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:23 pm

I removed the control circuit board and found that there are 2 small resistors that show burnt spots on the board. Also there are 2 relay's on the board and I did have a buzzing sound coming from the control which might indicate a bad relay.
Thanks for your thoughts on a replacement. I will decide what to do but looks like the ICM control is the way to go. I am still nursing my bad back and will take awhile since I am using wood heat in the meantime and not desperate! I have learned a lot in this adventure and your help is appreciated.
ccrider966
New Contributor

Previous

Return to Residential