aircon starts and restarts multiple times

Problems related to residential installations.

aircon starts and restarts multiple times

Postby rtparies » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:54 pm

I have this problem with my aircon. i have had a tech over3 times and he has no idea what is going on. It has never happened when he has been there. It seems to happens more in the evening, but the tech wants a pretty hefty houry rate after hours, so i am looking for some help/ideas

Here is some info

1) the house is 3 years old
2) it is a gas furnace inside and aircon outside
3) i have two zones in the house
4) the tech has replaced a relay outside
5) i have replaced both thermostats with two new honeywell RTH9580WF

The problem is (really noticeable in the evening cause the lights flash alot - everytime it stops and starts)

The outside aircon will be running. When it appears to try to turn off, it turns on and off multiple times
To better explain the problem i have uploaded a video **/p0mxjryy . The problem happens at the - minute mark (sorry no editing tools)

to see the video it is - sendvid_DOT_com/p0mxjryy ( hopefully this make sense, the filter keeps removing my links )

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Randy
rtparies
Minimal

- aircon starts and restarts multiple times

Postby Freon » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:10 pm

Make, model and age of the condenser.

The lights flashing is a big clue. You need to really check the 240 volt wiring to the outdoor condenser unit. Also check all connections at the circuit breaker box. Especially check the ground connections. If you are not comfortable with electricity, have an electrician come. It will take less than 1 hour.

If the electric circuit is OK then the next step is to add a hard start capacitor. It is a "boost" for the compressor when it first starts. You should notice less light dimming.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential