Straight cool running like a heat pump

Problems related to residential installations.

Straight cool running like a heat pump

Postby Mousehousemoparman » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:05 am

I've been doing HVAC and building maintenance for most of the last 20 years. Most of my experience is on the maintenance and troubleshooting side and have done few installs of complete systems. I've installed a Trane five ton condensor and a Carrier five ton air handler. This is a R22 straight cool system. The problem is that when I run it the suction line is hot and the discharge is cool with the condensor fan blowing cool air with an ambient air temp of about 95 degrees. My gauge pressures are 150 suction and 130 discharge. I'm thinking I have a metering device issue but I'm not entirely sure. Trane condensor model # 2TWR3036A1000AA, serial # 8215K5P4F. Carrier air handler model # FB4ANF048, serial # 4096A19569. If I have the wrong metering device can you tell me what I need? I'm stumped.
Mousehousemoparman
New Contributor

- Straight cool running like a heat pump

Postby Freon » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:02 am

Your condenser unit is a heat pump. Check the thermostat changeover valve wiring. It seems you may have it in heat mode when you think it's in cool mode.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

- Straight cool running like a heat pump

Postby Mousehousemoparman » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:50 pm

Thank you Freon for your advice. I believed the condensor was a straight cool unit and that is how I wired it. Every heat pump I've ever seen or worked on had the reversing valve on the interior of the condensing unit near the compressor. This one has the reversing valve on the outside of the coil hidden behind one of the side panels. I will rewrite this tomorrow.
Mousehousemoparman
New Contributor

Return to Residential