Tempstar Furnace need help please

Problems related to residential installations.

Tempstar Furnace need help please

Postby Cinnamon44 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:30 pm

Hello,
My tempstar heater got intermittent problem- When the heat call ,inducer blow then the HSI glow about 30 to a minute no gas flow and unit stop.Then few minutes later cycle start again this time its work fine, some time it failed couple of times then it works,some time start right away. Is this problem cause by control board? Honeywell ST9120C 4016 control board. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
Best regards.
Huuh
Cinnamon44
New Contributor

- Tempstar Furnace need help please

Postby Freon » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:55 pm

Two possibilities come to mind. Either the gas valve is intermittently stuck or the power to the gas valve is intermittently ot getting to the valve.

Take a regular hammer with a wooden or plastic handle. Have someone call for heat while you are at the furnace. If the furnace does its usual dance and isn't lighting, gently tap the gas valve with the handle part of the hammer to see if that helps it open.

If that doesn't work you need to use a volt meter to measure the AC voltage at the gas valve. Tell us the model number of the gas valve and we can tell you what to measure.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby Cinnamon44 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:25 pm

Hello Freon,
Thanks you for replied. Here is the model # of the - Honeywell SV9500M 2682. I just came home and turn it on she fire up right away. But last night i head the inducer went on about 1 minute then stop no heat. About 4 minute later call again then fire. The heater is Tempstar NTN5050BFA1/GDJ050M12A1.
Best regards.
Huuh
Cinnamon44
New Contributor

Postby Freon » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:14 pm

Here is what you need to observe. When the inducer starts and runs, does the hot surface ignitor (HSI) glow? Before you said the HSI did glow. If there is a problem with the inducer assembly then the HSI will never turn on. If the HSI does turn on and the inducer still stops, then we are back to no gas flow. See if you can verify even when the inducer stops after 1 minute, the HSI does turn o and glow white hot.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby Cinnamon44 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:37 pm

Good morning Freon,
Yes when the inducer start to run the HSI glow white, some time it take more then 30 second for the furnace fire up, some time take longer then HSI off and the inducer shut down too. (when inducer start the HSI glow- when the HSI stop the inducer stop Furnace complete off.)
Thanks for your help.
Huuh
Cinnamon44
New Contributor

Postby Freon » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:25 am

I would say it appears from what you say that the gas valve is the problem. I would Google Honeywell SV9500M 2682. It is known as a "smart valve". Look for a .pdf link from forwardthinking dot honeywell dot com. It is difficult to write a URL here due to spammers. That pdf file will explain how it should work. In that installation guide for your gas "smart" valve you will see how it controls all the furnace ignition. That valve contains the control board for your furnace. That other circuit board is for the fan control.

Either the gas valve is mechanically having trouble opening or the control circuit is having intermittent problems. The hammer handle tapping of the gas valve body is one way to see if there's a mechanical problem. Check all the wires to the valve making sure each is secure. Possibly there is a loose wire.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby Cinnamon44 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:55 pm

Good Afternoon Freon,
Thanks you for your help, Finally I found the problem, Because this furnace combine the HSI, flame censor and gas igniter together so the flame censor got dirty it prevent the gas igniter light up. After i clean up the flame censor she work like a champ.
Again thank you very much for all help.
Huuh
Cinnamon44
New Contributor

Return to Residential