switch/fuse gone bad

Problems related to residential installations.

switch/fuse gone bad

Postby mmtsh138 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:08 am

Had HVAC tech here for maintenance. He shut off the main power to inside unit using the switch on handler unit. (There is another seperate switch near the unit on the wall). He came up to thermostat to set it to get AC to run. We both heard a weird noise, which could have been my dishwasher. He returned to basement, came back up & was puzzled why the AC would not kick on. He said there is some sort of delay, but it should have kicked on by now. Before it was all said & done, he was here 3.5 hrs, on & off phone & eventually had to call another person in. It was that switch he turned off on the unit. It just” happened to go bad”. They rigged it to work until they can order the part & install it. My concern is what could have caused the switch go bad? Can human error blow them? Also, it took 3 hours to figure this out? Wouldn’t that be an obvious preliminary guess? Things happen, & maybe he is new to the field, there was a lot of phone calls & heated conversation trying to figure it out. I plan on calling the manager just to make sure everything is ok & to let them know the outside unit was obviously not cleaned because there’s old foliage still in there. What questions should I ask?
mmtsh138
Minimal

- switch/fuse gone bad

Postby Freon » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:57 pm

I guess you had an inexperienced tech. First question is your system simple AC only or a heat pump? If it's a heatpump the first switch that, "He shut off the main power to inside unit using the switch on handler unit." might have beet the actual circuit breaker to your heat strips, if you have a heat pump system. If the main power to the unit was off and your thermostst has a digital screen and is powered by the 24 volts from the air handler, then you should have not seen anything on the thermostat screen or been able to do anything to start the AC.

Why did he turn off power in the first place? He could have turned off the unit at the thermostat. Usually to check filters all you need is to know the air handler won't start. If there are electrical issues, then you do need to turn off the power to the whole system. You need to tell us more about "the switch that went bad". Also the make and model of the air handler.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

- switch/fuse gone bad

Postby mmtsh138 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:15 pm

Lennox M/N CB30M-31-1P. It is a heat pump/central air unit. On the wall next to the unit, there is a power switch-he did not shut this off. On the front of the unit itself are 2 switches next to each other. He shut them off. Looking at it, the switch on the left is what went bad. The switch next to it I guess is ok because it's still there. After he turned them off & I left while he did his thing. He then came up & to set the system to get the AC to go on. It's a 3 zone digital thermostat & it was lit up so it had power. From what you said about the thermostat-1 of the 2of those switches had to be put back to on position & still working. I turned the AC lower as he asked to get it to go on & it wouldn't go on. That's when all the trouble started. Later on -while he was troubleshooting, I noticed the thermostat was now blank-power cut somewhere. I have pictures but I don't see how to post them here.He did say something may have gotten messed up when he played with thermostat. But the end result was it was a "fluke" the switch went bad.
mmtsh138
Minimal

- switch/fuse gone bad

Postby Freon » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:00 am

Flukes do happen. As long as the system is working as it should, I'd be happy and enjoy the cold air. It's hard to speculate exactly what this tech did, or didn't do.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential