Moving warm air to cold area

Problems related to residential installations.

Moving warm air to cold area

Postby bulgin7654 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:36 pm

Hello - I am not an A/C expert and wish some advice on moving warm air that collects in the ceiling to a room that is not hard-wired into the heating system.

I have a 14 foot ceiling room that is heated well in the winter and a lot of the warmer air (10 degrees warmer than near the chairs according to a thermal imaging) collects up near the ceiling.

I would like to move it to an adjoining room via flexible tubing and a in-line conduit fan that can be passed through a vent, into the basement for a 2 foot run to the floor vent in the room that needs the air.

The run would be approximately 20' from ceiling with warm air to the floor vent in room that needs the heat.

It only has to warm a very small room that is approximately 50 square feet, albeit with poor insulation.

Any advise on using this method of moving air?

Will a 6 inch in-line conduit fan placed at the vent in the destination room (sucking air, not pushing) be powerful enough to suck the air from the ceiling in the adjoining room to the room adjacent to it with the floor vent - it will need to suck air through a 6 inch conduit for approximately 20 feet.

Thank you.
bulgin7654
Minimal

- Moving warm air to cold area

Postby Freon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:57 pm

I suggest a small space heater for the room that needs more heat. You'll save nothing by doing as you describe. Look at a small heating system that can be installed in the basement for the one room.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

- Moving warm air to cold area

Postby morrislynch » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:44 am

Small heating system will work for it?
morrislynch
New Contributor

Return to Residential